Friday, December 26, 2008

Favorite Scripture

2 Nephi 4:27-30
"And why should I yield to sin, because of my flesh?  Yea, why should I give way to temptations, that the evil one have place in my heart to destroy my peace and afflict my soul?  Why am I angry because of mine enemy?
 Awake, my soul!  No longer droop in sin.  Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my soul.
 Do not anger again because of mine enemies.  do not slacken any strength because of mine afflictions.
 Rejoice, O my heart, and cry unto the Lord, and say: O Lord, I will praise thee forever; yea, my soul will rejoice in thee, my God, and the rock of my salvation."


I think that is now my favorite passage of scripture.  It's hard to replace what has been your favorite for years, but I do think it fits the bill.  That scripture just brings so much clarity to the way your spirit feels when you sin.  It's confused, it doesn't understand why you're doing what you're doing.  It sure as heck wouldn't willingly do what you just did, but because of the growing pains your spirit undergoes while getting used to a body, things happen that confuse it.  

Just as when you do things that are contrary to what your body (carnal self) wants to do, it feels awkward at first.  Thinking back to my first really spiritual experience, I felt differently physically than I ever had before, and it felt weird.  But it was a feeling that if I grow accustomed to, would be a wonderful feeling to always have.

Hopefully I can take this scripture to heart and be able to call on it in my time of need.  Be able to think to myself: "Why should I yield to sin? Because of my flesh?"

It really doesn't get any more black and white than that.


Another random thought that popped through my head that I'll probably write about later, but I'll jot down now...
If I'm preparing to serve a mission (well, if I'm allowed to), then why shouldn't I live like a missionary would live (as in, surround myself only with things a missionary would surround himself with)?
That would include not watching tv other than BYUtv, any non-church-related movies, wouldn't really change my music selection (current selection anyways), waking up early and being in bed as early as I could be, etc...
And if I don't go to the mission-extreme on everything, what areas would I be holding back on?  And why?

*ponders*

No comments:

Post a Comment