Friday, March 6, 2009

The Difference

Alma 1:4-5
"And he also testified unto the people that all mankind should be saved at the last day, and that they need not fear nor tremble, but that they might lift up their heads and rejoice; for the Lord had created all men, and had also redeemed all men; and, in the end, all men should have eternal life.
And it came to pass that he did teach these things so much that many did believe on his words, even so many that they began to support him and give him money."

Well, tonight I went to the third wedding that I've ever attended. I don't remember much about the first one because I was so young, but I remember that it was in our house. The second one was the wedding of my great friend Stephanie. Both of those weddings were not in the temple obviously. And tonight, was Ben and Ashley's wedding. I was excited to attend the wedding, and I am so so so happy for them, but it was... weird. 

I listened very closely and very intently to everything that was said, the pattern in which things took place, what they placed emphasis on, and so forth. The pastor said numerous things that led the marriage towards God, and I was pleased that they were putting the focus of the union where it should be. However, that being said, it just felt like something was missing. When the pastor made the comment towards the end along the lines of "I have felt the presence of God here tonight," I... had to disagree. I really hadn't felt as though anything special had taken place in the sight of God other than two of his children got married for the space of time given to us in which to dwell on earth. Which obviously is a big step, and one that qualifies us for many rights and blessings not otherwise attainable, within the church or not, but it was missing a key ingredient: Priesthood Authority. 

I consider myself better able to tune into the spirit nowadays, thanks to the constancy in which I surround myself with spiritual-enducing media and practices (ie, scriptures, talks, music), and I can honestly say that it would be a stretch to say that God was with Ben and Ashley tonight as far as their wedding being what it should be. 

I love Ben and Ashley so much, and now, more than ever, I hope they find the path towards truth. I want more than anything for them, for their marriage to become an eternal marriage, and not something that ends when Christ comes again. I think about all of the non-temple weddings that have taken place over the course of time, and the pain and sorrow that will be prevalent when people realize that they are not going to be by the side of their earthly partner for the rest of eternity. Or maybe they will be, but not within the glory of the Celestial Kingdom. I don't quite know how the intricacies of the two lower kingdoms work as far as marriage go, but be that as it may, what is a marriage with out the ability to have an eternal increase?

Tonight strengthened my testimony of the sanctity of temple weddings, and the wonderful sealing power that is associated with them. I hope to live every day of mine in accordance with that testimony, so that one day I may be blessed enough to wed within the temple, for time and all eternity. I can't imagine anything on this earth that could bring me more joy than that fateful day.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment