Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Unwanted

Mosiah 28:3
"Now they were desirous that salvation should be declared to every creature, for they could not bear that any human soul should perish; yes, even the very thoughts that any soul should endure endless torment did cause them to quake and tremble."

Tonight I got a reminder of just how powerful music can be. I tend to think of songs whenever I hear phrases that match the lyrics of a song that I know. Tonight, while I was closing at work, one of my employees said a couple of words that match the lyrics from a song that I used to listen to on occasion a few years ago.. and it is not a very wholesome song in the least, quite explicit lyrics. Well, I have not listened to this song in quite a while, yet when I heard that phrase, it came back to me as though I had just heard it earlier that day, and immediately caused me to have a slightly different spirit about me. 

Can we really risk that? Can we allow ourselves to welcome into our minds things that we wouldn't want there during our most personal moments? If that song happened to pass through my head whilst I was at church, or at the temple... I would really be upset with myself for ever hearing the song in the first place. If I'd never allowed myself to hear it, or if I'd purposefully avoided it after hearing it once, it would never be able to plague me while I am doing something, let alont while I'm having a sacred experience. 

But really, it goes beyond music (though music sure is the most powerful form of media we have, in my opinion). Movies, television shows, internet clips, books, any form of media-intake that we have available to us will always be with us in at least a small sense. Can we really risk having any of that come back to us when we don't want it there? Satan can't plant things into our brain that aren't already there, but he certainly does have the capability of taking what is there, and making it surface. We need to keep ourselves spotless from the world, and that is one of the most important aspects of it. 

I have blogged on this before, but I felt it was important to bring it up again, because I certainly had a shocking reminder of it tonight, and I was beside myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment