Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Personal Trees

Alma 31:38
"But if ye neglect the tree, and take no thought for its nourishment, behold it will not get any root; and when the heat of the sun cometh and scorcheth it, because it hath no root it withers away, and ye pluck it up and cast it out."

I am finding out more and more how true that scripture is. We must not neglect our testimonies, especially in the early stages. We may have all the belief and hope in the world, but if we simply go on hope and desire, and do not back it with faith it is all for naught when the winds of oppression blow our way. Faith is not simply hoping. Faith is putting your hope and desire into action. Things such as daily feasting on the scriptures, learning to love the living prophets, not only attending church but being attentive and desiring to be spiritually fed. This gospel is more than just a passive spectator sport, it is a living, breathing, exciting thing that we need to take part in. 

Those simple steps have been what has brought me back to the church and kept me there. Once I understood what it took to be a member of the church as opposed to simply being listed as "baptized once upon a time," that's when I started noticing changes within my heart. For if my heart had not been changed, had the seed not taken root, I would have been an example of what Alma was talking about in this scripture. For truly the sun has attempted to scorch my testimony over the past short while, and if I did not understand who I am and why it was important for me to have the standards, morals, and beliefs that I do have - I surely would have caved in to temptation and would be much a lesser person because of it.

1 comment:

  1. =D

    i have no witty words or banter for this one...

    but i am almost done lol

    ReplyDelete