Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My Service Adventure

2 Nephi 22:2
"Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid; for the Lord JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also has become my salvation."

Well, today I took my own challenge that I discussed last night.  As I was praying last night, an impression came over me to go out among my community and offer my service as an able bodies young man to help out where I could.  So I took to the streets and went door knocking.  It was hard to get myself out the door intially, but then I rememberd the words "I will trust, and not be afraid" followed by "Doubt not, fear not."  

So I went to my neighbor's house first.  I knocked once, twice, and then I saw her come to the window.  However, all she did was peel back the curtains, look at me.. and then she walked away without so much as answering the door.  (I thought to myself: I was wearing a hoodie! I didn't look like a missionary! haha.)  Anyways, that discouraged me a little bit since my immediate neighbors were those who I want to extend my arm to the most.  However, I took it as the source of a test and dedication, so to the next door I went.  Doing this at 11am or so, I wasnt expecting too many people to be home, but since I work nights and due to the fact that I didn't want to go too early and catch people not awake, that's the time I chose.  No one was home at the next few doors, but I arrived at a house that had people in it!  A man answered the door, he seemed of Middle Eastern dissent..possibly Indian.. I'm bad with ethnicities haha, and his house smelled of curry.. it was wonderful!  Anyways, I introduced myself and asked for his name.  He replied that his name was Debaus (or however you spell it.. sounds like DeBoss haha).  I told him why I had knocked on his door, that I was simply out and about meeting my neighbors and was wondering if there was any help around his house or whatever that I could help him out with.  He couldn't think of anything at that very moment, but he did take my name and number in case anything came up.  I thanked him for his time and went about my way.

Success!! Someone answered the door and was cordial!  That gave me a little burst of energy and a bounce to my step.

So onward I went.  The next person that answered the door was a lady named Sharon.  (Apparently her last name is stamps as I saw a box addressed to "Dr Stamps" whom I can only assume to be her husband that she spoke of.)  Anyways, she answered the door and I introduced myself to her.  She said something along the lines of "oh wonderful! yes, I imagine that I would be able to use your help here and there, my husband is often at work when I need heavy things around the house lifted and such, however there is nothing right now I could use your help with."  I was elated.  We briefly got to know eachother.  I learned that she has a daughter that is at LSU and is a junior.  She seemed very eager to add in the comment that her daughter was there when LSU won the football championship.  :)  I left after a few minutes of chit chat and also left her with my name and number.

I couldn't believe people were receiving me so openly (when they actually answered the door! haha).  It was a wonderful wonderful feeling!

The very next door was answered as well!  It was a man named Mitch who seemed pleased to meet me.  He also seemed eager to take down my information and mentioned needing help with "painting the entire exterior of the house, which needs to be done soon."  I informed him that I would happily help him out with that, and added that I work nights, so any help would need to be in the morning.  He seemed very happy to hear my response.  Then he asked me something interesting.  "So, you're looking for work?  How much would you be looking for?"  I quickly put 2 and 2 together and realized that people aren't used to service, and that most people have their own financial or personal benefit in mind when offering a helping hand.  That saddened me briefly and I quickly corrected his thoughts by saying "oh I'm not looking for money out of this, I'm just out to help my neighbors and my community.  I actually work full time at Chickfil-A, I simply don't have much to do in the morning and would love to help you out with anything I can during the day."  (or something along those lines.)  He seemed astounded at that prospect and eargerly wrote down my information.  

That got me even more excited to meet more people!

Around the corner I went to meet some more neighbors.  I met a man named Eric who works from home.  He has a speech impediment which made conversation interesting, but he seemed to be a really nice guy, insisting that I not call him sir and use his name instead.  

Further down the street I ran into a guy named Don.  He seemed very capable of handling any "house work" that I may be offering to help with, but I asked nonetheless.  He also was eager to write down my information and then offered a bit of advice to me.  He mentioned that our neighborhood has a website that I could go onto and post information about what I was up to and that I might get more visibility that way.  Though he added that he thought me going door to door was a wonderful way to go about my goals as well.  I thanked him for the advice and told him I'd look into it.  (I later pulled up the website and it turns out he's one of the officers on the neighborhood committee, interesting.)

As I left his house I noticed someone across the street working on a project involving saws and wood.  So I ventured over to introduce myself and to see if I could help.  His name is Roland, and he thanked me for my offer but informed me that what he was working on was pretty much a one-man job.  I didnt pry but instead offered to leave him my information incase he wants my help with any future projects.  He was more than willing to take down my information, but then he asked me that same question.  "What kind of money are you looking for?"  I chuckled and told him that all I was looking for was the chance to help out and be of service.  He also seemed taken aback by my response, but didn't press the issue.  Again, I felt elated.

I ventured back to Arbor Oak and decided to hit the other side.  It was about noon at this point and I needed to get back home to get ready for work.  There was a grandma that was home that answered the door.  She didn't seem too interested in my service, however she mentioned that she knew my parents, but wasn't aware they had a boy my age.  I told her that if she ever sees my car parked by our house (her house has a wonderful view of our house haha) that I am most likely home and that she is welcome to ask me for anything she may need help with.  That seemed to satisfy her apparent desire for me to leave for whatever reason.  And so I went about my way.

The final house that I went to was our across the street neighbors the Davenports.  As I walked up their walkway they were apparently on their way out.  "Hey there, how's it going?"  They greeted me warmly and asked what I was up to.  I told them that I was out and about, and since their children were grown (my age and older) and no longer around as often if at all, that I'd be willing to help them with anything they might need help with.  They were completely shocked.  And after I pre-empted their almost certain question about compensation, Bill's heart seemed to swell and he gave me a wonderful wonderful compliment.  His reaction completely filled my heart as well.  I really hope they take me up on my offer of service because they are such wonderful people.  There is almost nothing they could ask me to do that I wouldn't be overjoyed to help them out with.  

I then returned home to get ready for work and play the piano a little bit before I left.  A day well spent!  And it all took barely more than an hour!  An hour!  Really?  That has to be one of my most fulfilling days in a long long time, and it took barely more than an hour!  

I can't wait to get back out there tomorrow and meet more of my neighbors and extend a helping hand in my quest to become Christ-like.  

2 Nephi 25:26
"And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins."

2 comments:

  1. okay so two things.
    today i kept coming across the phrase, "i will not be afraid, i will trust in the Lord." that gave me such peace because its hard to face some people at school that judge me too quickly. i thought that that was cool how he gave us almost the same words, but with a different meaning. :]
    and also i am so glad you have been enouraged to be a servant. it truly is humbling and i hope that it will encourage me more to be willing to do things for others, not of my selfish ambition.
    you are such an example for me gregory and i am so glad i have someone to encourage me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Greg. That is completely amazing. And inspirational. You are doing awesome things and it helps me to want to do better. Yesterday I did offer to help an older woman with her groceries, and although she declined (I did help her open her trunk) it does feel good, doesn't it? Thank you for sharing your awesome experiences!

    ReplyDelete