Thursday, January 8, 2009

Worldy Fun

2 Nephi 16:8-10
"Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then I said: Here am I; send me.
And he said: So and tell this people - Hear ye indeed, but they understood not; and see ye indeed, but they perceived not.
Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes - lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and be converted and be healed."

As much fun as tonight was, for some reason it left me feeling empty.  I admit that the food was amazing, playing pool with my brother and dad is always fun, and the movie was great.  But, it still left me wishing it had been more fulfilling.  And I can't help but wonder why.  Things that come to mind are that it kept me out past when I have been trying to commit to go to bed, I spent way more money than I should have simply to "have a fun evening," and for the first time in a while, I really saw tonight how worldly the world really is.

While we were at Boi Na Braza, obviously alcohol is served, strike one.  

While we were at main event, there were music videos playing of "new hit songs," one of which being Britney Spears' "Womanizer."  I had never previously heard the song (to my recollection), but just seeing snipets of the music video (yay for the tv being right next to the basketball game that was showing...) I unfortunately caught bits and pieces here and there of Britney posing for the camera in convenient ways to hide parts of her body despite her nakedness.  How far the "Disney girl" has fallen.. strike two.  

And the movie "Australia."  Overall it was a really good movie with a great premise.  But do they really have to show "everything but" when it comes to the love-making scenes?  Can they not simply elude to what is obviously about to happen, and then just switch scenes?  While that scene was playing out I really couldn't help but think "if Christ were watching this movie, would He stop watching right now, get up, and walk out?"  My answer was a resounding yes, but I did nothing of the sort unfortunately.  Our generation has become desensitized to a point to things of that nature, strike three.

So really, what did I accomplish other than "quality time with my father and brother, and a wonderful wonderful meal?"  I accomplished putting myself in the path of the temptation of alcohol.  I accomplished surrounding myself with people that were drinking and tv shows that were anything but wholesome to the spirit.  I accomplished subjecting myself to watching play out the great lie of this generation: pre-marital sex.  

I really need to learn to choose my time more wisely and safeguard myself from the wiles of Satan and his ever present angels of darkness.  As I stated (in other words) in previous posts, if we don't willingly subject ourselves to temptation, knowing that it will be present before we even show up, then we'll have less of a chance to succumb to temptation and less of a chance for the images and music we hear to trickle through our minds at unopportune times.

We must stand in holy places, with no exceptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment