Friday, December 10, 2010

Mercy and Justice

Alma 42:16-25 (I realize this is long, but there is no point at which it could be ended early and still capture the entire essence of its message.  This is my favorite chapter of all scripture, so I refuse to cut anything out.)
16 "Now, repentance could not come unto men except there were a punishment, which also was eternal as the life of the soul should be, affixed opposite to the plan of happiness, which was as eternal also as the life of the soul.
17 Now, how could a man repent except he should sin? How could he sin if there was no law? How could there be a law save there was a punishment?
18 Now, there was a punishment affixed, and a just law given, which brought remorse of conscience unto man.
19 Now, if there was no law given - if a man murdered he should die - would he be afraid he would die if he should murder?
20 And also, if there was no law given against sin men would not be afraid to sin.
21 And if there was no law given, if men sinned what could justice do, or mercy either, for they would have no claim upon the creature?
22 But there is a law given, and a punishment affixed, and a repentance granted; which repentance mercy claimeth; otherwise, justice claimeth the creature and executeth the law, and the law inflicteth the punishment; if not so, the words of justice would be destroyed, and God would cease to be God.
23 But God ceaseth not to be God, and mercy claimeth the penitent, and mercy cometh because of the atonement; and the atonement bringeth to pass the resurrection of the dead; and the resurrection of the dead bringeth back men into the presence of God; and thus they are restored into his presence, to be judged according to their works, according to the law and justice.
24 For behold, justice exerciseth all his demands, and also mercy claimeth all which is her own; and thus, none but the truly penitent are saved.
25 What, do ye suppose that mercy can rob justice? I say unto you Nay; not one whit.  If so, God would cease to be God."

As I mentioned above, this is my favorite passage of scripture.  Why?  Because it paints such a wonderful picture of the way things should be, and the way they truly are.  God truly loves me, and because of this he has laid forth a plan to accept back into his fold as many of his children as will come back to him.  He is ever-loving, ever-forgiving, ever-merciful, yet ever-just.  He wants me to come back to him, yet he cannot give me something that I do not deserve.  I say deserve hesitantly, for it is impossible for me to be exalted with out his help.  No unclean thing can dwell with God, but God has promised his kingdom to me if I do what God has asked me to do, and because of that promise (which not even God can break), I deserve (in a manner of speaking) to dwell with him if I keep my end of the bargain.  

My thoughts are all over the place right now when I think about what it takes to please God the most.  I recently watched a movie about the prophet Joseph Smith, and when it ended I felt the Spirit so strongly, I was so moved.  I suppose that is what it means to please God, to do what He wants you to do.  Joseph Smith was a man of faith, and because of that he dared not to do what the Lord commanded him not to do, and he did what the Lord commanded him to do.  There is no reason to question the Lord, because the Lord knows best, in all things and at all times.  Being obedient truly is the best way that we can please God.

He has asked me to live his commandments, to read the words of the living prophets, to read the words of the prophets from past dispensations, to search the words of Isaiah, to have charity towards all men, and other things as well.  None of these are menial tasks, none of these aren't worth the time and effort.  All of them build character and promote love and harmony.  Is it too much to listen to what the Lord asks of us to do?  Am I so prideful that I think I know what is a better use of my daily-time than the Lord does?

There is a law given and a punishment affixed.  The law is that I obey his commands.  Both the punishments and the rewards are lying in wait for me.  Can I ask the Lord to let mercy rob justice?  I need to live my life in such a way that the Lord is able to welcome me home, with open arms.

Verse 27: "Therefore, O my son, whosoever will come may come and partake of the waters of life freely..."

No comments:

Post a Comment