Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Examples

Alma 39:1&11
"...for behold, have ye not observed the steadiness of thy brother, his faithfulness, and his diligence in keeping the commandments of God? Behold, has he not set a good example for thee?"

"...Behold, O my son, how great iniquity ye brought upon the Zoramites; for when they saw your conduct they would not believe in my words."

As I read this chapter, it really puts the daily activities of life into perspective. Our Father has told us that we are accountable for the way in which we use our time in this life. Are we using that time to build up the kingdom of God? Or are we falling into the trap of apathy toward the impact our actions have on those we come into contact with?

There are two things in this chapter that jump out at me, which is why I selected portions from two verses. The first is that Alma rebuked Corianton for not seeing the example that his brother was setting for him in terms of how one should live. What impresses me about this statement from Alma is that he is essentially declaring that our actions set an example for those around us. If we are constantly surrounded by people who behave and act in a certain way, then we are influenced by the choices that our peers are making, for good or for bad. Whether or not our peers are intending to be an example unto us, they are.

Alma further drives the point home when he turns the conversation directly towards Corianton's actions amongst the Zoramites. Corianton represented something grander than himself during his ministry to the Zoramites, but as a result of his choices, the Zoramites were not able to believe in what was being taught because they were witnessing a contradiction to those teachings. Truly, actions do speak louder than words.

I often reflect upon my interactions with people and wonder if I truly am "practicing what I preach." I often wonder what example I am setting for those around me, realizing that whether I intend to or not, my actions do influence those who witness them, and whether they intend to be influenced by my actions or not, they are. Every interaction I have with those around me changes me and it changes them. That is such an awesome thought.

Am I doing my best to build up the kingdom of God in everything that I do and say? Am I living my life in such a way that I can tell my Father and my Savior that I used my time well while I had the opportunity to do so? Is my conscious at peace when I reflect upon the manner in which I interact with those whom I love as well as those with whom I simply coexist? Am I becoming who I want to be? Am I developing habits that I want to pass onto my children? If my children were to emulate my behaviors and choices, would I be proud of that or would I instruct them to "do as I say and not as I do?"

No comments:

Post a Comment